Subscribe to updates

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Jackson doctor: I did not give him dangerous drugs


A doctor who previously treated Michael Jackson says he never gave the singer sedatives beyond what was needed for painful medical procedures.

Dr. Arnold Klein talked to ABC's Good Morning America Wednesday, just one day after a much-watched public memorial for Jackson, who died June 25.

"I was not one of the doctors who participated in giving him overdoses of drugs or too much of anything," Klein said. "In fact, I was the one who limited everything, who stopped everything." It is still not known what caused Jackson's cardiac arrest. The official determination will likely wait until toxicology results are completed, which could be weeks away.

Klein also said he saw Jackson three days before his death and the singer seemed to be in fine health, even dancing for other patients in the office.

Jackson's public memorial service at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Tuesday drew several stars and thousands of fans, some of whom had traveled from around the world to attend.

His 11-year-old daughter, Paris, capped the tribute with a tearful, impromptu tribute to her father. "I just want to say ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you can ever imagine. And I just wanted to say I love him so much," she said before dissolving into tears in the arms of her aunt Janet Jackson.

Usher, John Mayer, Jennifer Hudson, Lionel Richie and Mariah Carey performed at the memorial, while Queen Latifah, Smokey Robinson and Brooke Shields spoke about their friend. Usher sobbed at the end of his rendition of Gone Too Soon, while Carey arpologized on her Twitter page Wednesday morning for her shaky performance of I'll Be There.

"Trying to sing today was basically impossible for me. I could barely keep myself from crying. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to pull it together and really do it right, but I was literally choked up when I saw him there in front of me," she wrote. "One thing I know is, we will never really have to say goodbye to MJ. His legacy lives on through his music and the millions of people he inspired with his timeless music. He will be forever in our hearts."

The Jacksons held a private funeral for the singer at Forest Lawn in the Hollywood Hills on Tuesday morning, followed by a family motorcade to the Staples Center for the public memorial.

After the memorial, the family went to the Beverly Wilshire Hotel for a private reception. It was unclear whether Jackson's casket would be returned to Forest Lawn for burial or taken to another final resting place.


No comments:

Post a Comment